I am a firm believer that self motivation is the most effective way to get optimum results whatever your goal. This is simply because you already have the want and desire internally to make positive improvements that are needed for progress – usually based on the promise of the end result.
In terms of fitness and exercise, here are some of my top tips on how to motivate yourself:
- Plan ahead – failing to plan is planning to fail. If you don’t have a plan, you are far more likely to waste time and effort without direction. Just think, if you walk into the gym without any idea what you are doing you will probably just do a bit of this, a bit of that – it will not be efficient.
- Track your progress – what is better for motivation than seeing how far you have come? Without actually tracking it, it’s easy to forget where you started! It could be via a diary, an app (for example, iPR) or photos you have taken.
- Write down your goals – and display them as a reminder if that helps – that way you have already started to commit to them and when you are feeling demotivated you can read them through as a reminder of why you are doing what you are doing.
- Allocate time – so many people are time poor but you must prioritise your health and allocating specific time is the easiest way to ensure you have no time-based excuses.
- Get a workout buddy – to keep you on the straight and narrow, having a workout buddy will mean you can drag each other along and provide that all important moral support when things get tough.
- Book on a class – if you struggle to motivate yourself, book on a class or hire a personal trainer, that way you have made a commitment and you will feel more accountable.